too many parens

WingIDE - User mailing list

Does this happen to others, is there something I'm doing wrong?  Any help will be appreciated.  Skip the text and watch the video if you want the quick version.

------------
I'm running 5.1 and when I write a function and enter open paren, wing auto closes the paren on the right side of the cursor.  So far so good.

Now I enter my arguments for the function and type close paren (a habit I maintain to be compatible with other IDEs), and instead of wing eating that character, it's placed in addition to the automatic paren. Now I have two close parens, the other doesn't disappear even if I tab, space, hit enter.

This keeps repeatedly leading to minor bugs in my code.  I've tried to turn off the auto close feature, but it doesn't seem to affect this behavior.

Resources:
----------
here's a very short video of a test program in which it happens for me:

And here's a screen shot of my auto-edit settings:

Re: too many parens

WingIDE - User mailing list
Daniel McAnulty via wingide-users wrote:

> I'm running 5.1 and when I write a function and enter open paren, wing
> auto closes the paren on the right side of the cursor.  So far so good.
>
> Now I enter my arguments for the function and type close paren (a
> habit I maintain to be compatible with other IDEs), and instead of
> wing eating that character, it's placed in addition to the automatic
> paren. Now I have two close parens, the other doesn't disappear even
> if I tab, space, hit enter.
>
> This keeps repeatedly leading to minor bugs in my code.  I've tried to
> turn off the auto close feature, but it doesn't seem to affect this
> behavior.

When the Auto-Close Characters feature is turned on, it should skip over
the auto-added ) rather than typing a new one.  When it's enabled, Wing
should not be placing the auto-closed ).

What version of Wing are you using?  I just tried it with 5.1.12 and it
works as described above.

Re: too many parens

Daniel McAnulty via wingide-users wrote:

> I'm running 5.1 and when I write a function and enter open paren, wing
> auto closes the paren on the right side of the cursor. So far so good.
>
> Now I enter my arguments for the function and type close paren (a
> habit I maintain to be compatible with other IDEs), and instead of
> wing eating that character, it's placed in addition to the automatic
> paren. Now I have two close parens, the other doesn't disappear even
> if I tab, space, hit enter.
>
> This keeps repeatedly leading to minor bugs in my code. I've tried to
> turn off the auto close feature, but it doesn't seem to affect this
> behavior.

When the Auto-Close Characters feature is turned on, it should skip over
the auto-added ) rather than typing a new one. When it's enabled, Wing
should not be placing the auto-closed ).

What version of Wing are you using? I just tried it with 5.1.12 and it
works as described above.

Thanks,

-- Stephan Deibel