multiple projects on the same remote host

multiple projects on the same remote host

WingIDE - User mailing list
So, the repositories I work with are very large - thousands of files and
depending on which task I am on, I am in one of several forks of these
repositories.  For this reason, I don't add the top of my repo directory
to a project, rather I add the top of a particular repo fork.

I have noticed that, even though these directories are on the same
remote host and using the same winghome directory, when I create a new
project, it goes through all of the steps of (re)installing the remote
agent.  Would it be possible to have the client detect if the remote
agent is of the correct version and running and if so, skip that step?

Best,

coyot

*GLENN GLAZER | /S/**/enior Software Engineer /**
m:*562.305.2920 | *email:* [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]> | *Second Life:* Coyot Linden
*LINDEN LAB* | Create Virtual Experiences

Re: multiple projects on the same remote host

WingIDE - User mailing list
Coyot Linden (Glenn Glazer) via wingide-users wrote:

> So, the repositories I work with are very large - thousands of files
> and depending on which task I am on, I am in one of several forks of
> these repositories. For this reason, I don't add the top of my repo
> directory to a project, rather I add the top of a particular repo fork.
>
> I have noticed that, even though these directories are on the same
> remote host and using the same winghome directory, when I create a new
> project, it goes through all of the steps of (re)installing the remote
> agent. Would it be possible to have the client detect if the remote
> agent is of the correct version and running and if so, skip that step?

For now it just reinstalls it each time to head off some of the many
problems people were running into. This will change again, and the goal
is to check and not install unless it's not there. In fact in the next
major release (but not Wing 6.0.x) it'll just manage the install
automatically instead of asking for you to enter WINGHOME. That will
also deal correctly with multiple versions of Wing accessing the same
remote host.

By the way, if you have a remote host configuration already set up and
it's shared you should be able to just create a regular project, then
set Python Executable to Remote using that remote host configuration and
it should just probe and not install. It should only be New Project that
installs it every time, since there's where people were running into
problems.

On 12/15/17 11:08, Wingware Support wrote:
> By the way, if you have a remote host configuration already set up and
> it's shared you should be able to just create a regular project, then
> set Python Executable to Remote using that remote host configuration
> and it should just probe and not install. It should only be New
> Project that installs it every time, since there's where people were
> running into problems.

Ah, I was not aware of this method.  Thanks!

Happy holidays,