keyboard commands and macros

Uwe Holst
Hallo,

I'm new to Wingide, so please be patient with me ;-)

1. keyboard
As far as I understand, it is possible to bind top-level commands to special
keyboard buttons. I don't like learning keyboard combinations. Is there a
possibility to execute these commands via a shell or something similar (like
the ex: commands in vi)?

2. macros
Is it possible to save recorded macros?

3. syntax highlighting
Is it possible to make own syntax highlightings for other programming
languages? I'm testing software wirh Rational Robot (language is a basic
dialect). Robot has very poor editing facilities and therefor I would like
to use Wingide as a replacement.

I looked für these issues in the documentation but didn't find the answers.
If it's written elsewhere pls tell me where.

Thank you very much - Uwe Holst

Re: keyboard commands and macros

Wing IDE Support
Uwe Holst wrote:
> As far as I understand, it is possible to bind top-level commands to special
> keyboard buttons. I don't like learning keyboard combinations. Is there a
> possibility to execute these commands via a shell or something similar (like
> the ex: commands in vi)?

In emacs mode, you can use alt-x and type the command name in the
mini-buffer and in normal keybinding mode, you can use Esc x.  The
command that these bindings execute is command-by-name and you can bind
another key combination to it.  BTW, there is a vi mode under active
development for our next release.

> 2. macros
> Is it possible to save recorded macros?

It is not currently possible to save macros.

> 3. syntax highlighting
> Is it possible to make own syntax highlightings for other programming
> languages? I'm testing software wirh Rational Robot (language is a basic
> dialect). Robot has very poor editing facilities and therefor I would like
> to use Wingide as a replacement.

You might try using the visual basic syntax highlighter.  Syntax
highlighters must be written in C++; we use the scintilla editing
component so would refer you to its documentation for the basics of how
to write a syntax highlighting lexer.  Please let us know if you want to
know more about this or need to get the lexer built in to Wing.

Thank you for your interest in Wing!