highlight copy & hex mode

Thys Meintjes
Greets,

I would like wing to auto copy any highlighted text so that with the
next middle mouse btn click the previously highlighted selection is
pasted. This follows 'normal' linux clipboard behaviour - its rather
irritating to continuously go back to the previous file to (redundantly)
choose the 'copy' menu option, maybe I'm spoiled...

Is there a config variable I missed somewhere ?

Another thing: is there a hex edit mode for scintilla ala emacs's
hexilify, and if so is this exposed in the wing api ?

Regards

--
Thys Meintjes <[hidden email]>

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Wing IDE Support
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Thys Meintjes wrote:
> I would like wing to auto copy any highlighted text so that with the
> next middle mouse btn click the previously highlighted selection is
> pasted. This follows 'normal' linux clipboard behaviour - its rather
> irritating to continuously go back to the previous file to (redundantly)
> choose the 'copy' menu option, maybe I'm spoiled...

It should already do that -- I use it all the time.  Are there
specific cases that don't work, or it is always failing for you?

One bug with this that annoys me constantly is that the selection made
during mini-search (emacs style keyboard driven search) ends up
becoming the active selection when that's rarely what's wanted.  So
there are times it fails, but in general it should work to select and
press middle mouse elsewhere.

It may be worth submitting a bug report from the Help menu with the
"include error log" checkbox selected -- that may give us useful info.

> Another thing: is there a hex edit mode for scintilla ala emacs's
> hexilify, and if so is this exposed in the wing api ?

No, unfortunately Wing doesn't yet have a hex editing mode.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python
Advancing Software Development

www.wingware.com

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Michael Hipp
Wingware Support wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Thys Meintjes wrote:
>
>>I would like wing to auto copy any highlighted text so that with the
>>next middle mouse btn click the previously highlighted selection is
>>pasted. This follows 'normal' linux clipboard behaviour - its rather
>>irritating to continuously go back to the previous file to (redundantly)
>>choose the 'copy' menu option, maybe I'm spoiled...
>

> It should already do that -- I use it all the time.  Are there
> specific cases that don't work, or it is always failing for you?

Is there an option somewhere for "auto copy on select" or somesuch. The
middle-click paste works great, but it does not seem to copy things to
the clipboard when selecting. (I'm on Win32).

Thanks,
Michael

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Wing IDE Support
Michael Hipp wrote:
>> It should already do that -- I use it all the time.  Are there
>> specific cases that don't work, or it is always failing for you?
>
> Is there an option somewhere for "auto copy on select" or somesuch. The
> middle-click paste works great, but it does not seem to copy things to
> the clipboard when selecting. (I'm on Win32).

On win32, the middle click pastes whatever is selected in Wing or in the
clipboard which differs a bit from X11 where it pastes the primary
selection.  The X11 clipboard mechanism is a bit different than the
win32 one.  There is currently no copy on select mode on win32 (or X11).

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Thys Meintjes
On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 12:47 -0400, Wingware Support wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Aug 2005, Thys Meintjes wrote:
> > I would like wing to auto copy any highlighted text so that with the
> > next middle mouse btn click the previously highlighted selection is
> > pasted. This follows 'normal' linux clipboard behaviour - its rather
> > irritating to continuously go back to the previous file to (redundantly)
> > choose the 'copy' menu option, maybe I'm spoiled...
>
> It should already do that -- I use it all the time.  Are there
> specific cases that don't work, or it is always failing for you?

Hmmm, always failing - just tested it again:
1) Select a block of code by left click dragging (background color
changes to yellow yellow).
2) click somewhere else to change the cursor position.
3) hit the middle btn (on my mouse it is a scroll wheel- MS Mouse), to
no effect.
4) Just to make sure it was not a os/X/gtk/gnome issue, I repeated the
test in a terminal (ubuntu gnome) and it works as expected.

- emacs mode
- Linux version 2.6.10-5-386 (buildd@vernadsky) (gcc version 3.3.5
(Debian 1:3.3.5-8ubuntu2)) #1

Emacs mode has really helped me get up to speed with wing quickly. Its
the one reason that convinced me to purchase wing.

> One bug with this that annoys me constantly is that the selection made
> during mini-search (emacs style keyboard driven search) ends up
> becoming the active selection when that's rarely what's wanted.  So
> there are times it fails, but in general it should work to select and
> press middle mouse elsewhere.
>
> It may be worth submitting a bug report from the Help menu with the
> "include error log" checkbox selected -- that may give us useful info.

OK

--
Thys Meintjes <[hidden email]>

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Thys Meintjes
> Does it work if you omit step (2)?  Also, just to be clear, are you
> pasting into Wing or another app?  In general the active selection
> shouldn't be cleared by step (2) but some apps may do that.  If it is
> Wing, can you also let us know where in Wing you're pasting (in
> editor, or elsewhere)?

Aha ! If I omit (2), copy works for me. I'm pasting in wing in the
editor window (scintilla). It seems that the copy buffer is cleared by
any left click prior to a middle click. I have the habit of left
clicking before middle clicking... I guess it felt more natural to see
the flashing cursor position before pasting. I'll unlearn that, it seems
redundant now - and harmful...

Thanks for the excellent help.

regards
--
Thys Meintjes <[hidden email]>

--
Thys Meintjes <[hidden email]>

Re: highlight copy & hex mode

Wing IDE Support
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Thys Meintjes wrote:

> > Does it work if you omit step (2)?  Also, just to be clear, are you
> > pasting into Wing or another app?  In general the active selection
> > shouldn't be cleared by step (2) but some apps may do that.  If it is
> > Wing, can you also let us know where in Wing you're pasting (in
> > editor, or elsewhere)?
>
> Aha ! If I omit (2), copy works for me. I'm pasting in wing in the
> editor window (scintilla). It seems that the copy buffer is cleared by
> any left click prior to a middle click. I have the habit of left
> clicking before middle clicking... I guess it felt more natural to see
> the flashing cursor position before pasting. I'll unlearn that, it seems
> redundant now - and harmful...

Ah, I see -- within the same editor, clicking before pasting causes
this problem.  The problem doesn't appear if pasting into another
split.  In fact once you paste into another split, the problem doesn't
occur in the first editor either.  Weird.  I do think that's a bug.
Thanks for pointing that out.

- Stephan