Where does IDE save backups of edited files? In what folder, or with what extension?

Where does IDE save backups of edited files? In what folder, or with what extension?

WingIDE - User mailing list

I can find this feature – and customize it – in every editor and IDE I use, but not in Wing.  Perhaps I am looking under the wrong feature name…

No, Git is not a replacement for keeping backups!  Backup files are for the many increments you do in between commits.

Phil Colbert

Director of Technology

InjAnnuity

Wing Python IDE users list

Re: Where does IDE save backups of edited files? In what folder, or with what extension?

WingIDE - User mailing list
I wonder what problem you're focused on.

In the git shops I've worked in, there just aren't "many increments"
done in between commits. To the contrary, the point of using git
(especially in comparison to tools like SVN and CVS) is that git commits
are so easy, fast, and effective that they can happen at least hourly. I
find that it's MUCH easier to just do an add/commit/push from the
command line than any of the backup approaches I've seen.

Similarly, I find it MUCH easier to browse the repo -- even in a web
browser -- than to drill down through days, months, or years of ad-hoc
backup files.

I do think it's crucial that the project be in a repo on a different
physical machine in a different physical space from wherever development
is done. I like bitbucket, mostly because it's not Microsoft.

Finally, I do run automated daily backups on my own development
machines. I like Acronis.

Thanks,
Tom S.

--
Tom Stambaugh
66 Boston Ave
Wing Python IDE users list

On 5/14/19 5:54 PM, Phil Colbert via wingide-users wrote:
> I can find this feature – and customize it – in every editor and IDE I
> use, but not in Wing.  Perhaps I am looking under the wrong feature name…
>
> No, Git is /not/ a replacement for keeping backups!  Backup files are
> for the many increments you do /in between/ commits.

Wing does not have a builtin feature to create .bak files or the
equivalent.  It is possible to use a Wing extension script to execute
something before saving; see https://wingware.com/doc/scripting for
documentation on Wing extension scripts.

Attached is a simple minded script to copy to .bak, .bak1, .bak2, ...
This is meant to be an example to be customized -- it's limitations
include not handling errors when copying the file, not handling remote
files, and not doing anything after 100 backups.  It's also lightly
tested so there may be problems.  To use it, copy it to the scripts
directory in your Wing settings directory (listed in the About dialog
box) and restart Wing.

Cheers,

Wing Python IDE users list
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide

copy-to-bak.py (939 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Where does IDE save backups of edited files? In what folder, or with what extension?

On the whole, I like the idea of version control.  Often, it's worth it just
to document *why* a change was made.  (The commit itself documents the who,
when, and how.)  It's just not applicable to every team, every organization,
every project, every throwaway script, nor every file you're ever going to
edit.  For those, a simpler fallback option is to keep a *limited* number of
backups.

Those are the use-cases that this email focused on.

Phil Colbert
Director of Technology
InjAnnuity

Wing Python IDE users list

Re: Where does IDE save backups of edited files? In what folder, or with what extension?

WingIDE - User mailing list
Here's another case:

I frequently swap between three, four or even five projects at a time
based on priority and blocking.  Low priority tasks often have a very
long time between getting cycles on them and the longer it goes, the
more I risk some failure that would delete or corrupt data. Since I am
context switching when a higher priority task unblocks, it usually isn't
at a clean commit point with respect to the low priority project. Yes, I
could do a dummy commit, but that pollutes the commit history and is, in
fact, using the DVCS as a backup system. I'd rather use a backup system
as a backup system.

Best,

coyot
*GLENN GLAZER | /S/**/enior Software Engineer /**
m:*562.305.2920 | *email:* [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]> | *Second Life:* Coyot Linden
*LINDEN LAB* | Create Virtual Experiences