Using Wing IDE under Mac OSX

Ralf Wieseler
Hello! I baught an WING IDE Licence for two OS. after using Wing IDE
very succsessfully under windows 2000, i installed it on my Mac.

Using Apples X11 im not able to use my apple Keyboard for Python. I
found no way to generate the character " [ " in the Editor.
also the shortcuts for copy and paste dont work.
I tried to configure X11 as discribed in the wing IDE Documentation,
but without any result.

If there are other Mac Users for Wing IDE there outside, i would be
very happy about any help!

Thanks

Ralf Wieseler

Re: Using Wing IDE under Mac OSX

Wing IDE Support
On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, Ralf Wieseler wrote:
> Hello! I baught an WING IDE Licence for two OS. after using Wing IDE
> very succsessfully under windows 2000, i installed it on my Mac.
>
> Using Apples X11 im not able to use my apple Keyboard for Python. I
> found no way to generate the character " [ " in the Editor.
> also the shortcuts for copy and paste dont work.
> I tried to configure X11 as discribed in the wing IDE Documentation,
> but without any result.

Are you using version 2.0.3 or an earlier one?  If not 2.0.3, try upgrading
and selecting the OS X keyboard mapping from the User Interface / Keyboard
/ Personality preference.  You may also need to undo any xmodmap changes,
if you made some.  The current OS X how-to describes all you should need
to do:

http://wingware.com/doc/howtos/osx

I mention this because there were recent changes in how the keyboard is
set up on OS X.

If this doesn't solve it, please let us know.  We've seen one other case
where X11 on OS X 10.4 send wrong key codes to Wing when used w/ some types
of keyboards (I think some subset of non-US/english ones).  We have a gross
hack that works around this for the case we have seen (and we can send it
to you if you want to try it) but are still trying to figure out why the
key codes are completely wrong for many keys.

They guy that worked on this may have additional comments once he sees this
email... please let me know if the above helps or not.

Thanks for using Wing.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python
Advancing Software Development

www.wingware.com

Ralf Wieseler wrote:
> Using Apples X11 im not able to use my apple Keyboard for Python. I
> found no way to generate the character " [ " in the Editor.
> also the shortcuts for copy and paste dont work.

If you're using OS X 10.4 (Tiger), a temporary workaround is to set the
'apple keyboard' preference to yes and to execute the following in an xterm:
        xmodmap -e 'remove mod1 = Mode_switch'
        xmodmap -e 'add mod5 = Mode_switch'
Some of the option keymappings won't work, but you should be able to
enter '[' and other characters.  Note that this change will affect other
X11 apps, but I suspect if will change them for the better.

This problem is due to a change in the Apple X11 apps that affects other
gtk based applications, such as gimp, and openoffice.

Sorry for the trouble,

Ralf Wieseler wrote:
> Using Apples X11 im not able to use my apple Keyboard for Python. I
> found no way to generate the character " [ " in the Editor.
> also the shortcuts for copy and paste dont work.

We've release a patch which address this issue -- that option and other
character composition keys, such as Alt Gr on German keyboards, wouldn't
work under the X11 shipped with Tiger (OS X 10.4).  Note that the patch
will affect other X11 applications because it modifies the system-wide
X11 keyboard configuration.

The patch is available from the 2.0.3 patch page at:

        http://wingware.com/downloads/wingide/2.0.3/patches

You can untar the patch in ~/.wingide2 directory or in the Wing IDE
installation directory, which is Contents/MacOS inside the .app directory.

Let us know of any problems,