Shared project main debug file

I'm working on a pyramid project. Instead of using wingdbstub method for
debugging I set pserve.py as the main debug file.
This appears to work nicely, it can even handle the --reload argument
(contrary to the documentation).

The problem is when I make this a shared project and the path to the
main debug file is different. It will always be relative to the venv
like this: $(VIRTUAL_ENV)\Lib\site-packages\pserve.py
But when I try to use environment expansion in the Main Entry Point
project properties it doesn't get expanded.
Is there a way to accomplish this or a different approach to shared
projects with virtualenvs?

I suppose I could locate the virtual env relative to the project, but my
virtualenvwrapper tools won't find it :(

--Max III

Re: Shared project main debug file

WingIDE - User mailing list
Max Slimmer III via wingide-users wrote:

> I'm working on a pyramid project. Instead of using wingdbstub method
> for debugging I set pserve.py as the main debug file.
> This appears to work nicely, it can even handle the --reload argument
> (contrary to the documentation).
>
> The problem is when I make this a shared project and the path to the
> main debug file is different. It will always be relative to the venv
> like this: $(VIRTUAL_ENV)\Lib\site-packages\pserve.py
> But when I try to use environment expansion in the Main Entry Point
> project properties it doesn't get expanded.
> Is there a way to accomplish this or a different approach to shared
> projects with virtualenvs?
>
> I suppose I could locate the virtual env relative to the project, but
> my virtualenvwrapper tools won't find it :(

I'd probably move the project file and not the virtualenv as the way to
solve it, so the path from project to the main file is the same on all
the systems.  In general with shared projects you'll want path to files
in project to be the same on all the systems.

That said, I would expect ${VIRTUAL_ENV} to expand correctly in this
project property but I see that it does not.  We'll try to fix that.

Thanks for reporting this bug!

On 28/07/2016 07:20, Wingware Support via wingide-users wrote:

> Max Slimmer III via wingide-users wrote:
>> I'm working on a pyramid project. Instead of using wingdbstub method
>> for debugging I set pserve.py as the main debug file.
>> This appears to work nicely, it can even handle the --reload argument
>> (contrary to the documentation).
>>
>> The problem is when I make this a shared project and the path to the
>> main debug file is different. It will always be relative to the venv
>> like this: $(VIRTUAL_ENV)\Lib\site-packages\pserve.py
>> But when I try to use environment expansion in the Main Entry Point
>> project properties it doesn't get expanded.
>> Is there a way to accomplish this or a different approach to shared
>> projects with virtualenvs?
>>
>> I suppose I could locate the virtual env relative to the project, but
>> my virtualenvwrapper tools won't find it :(
>
> I'd probably move the project file and not the virtualenv as the way to
> solve it, so the path from project to the main file is the same on all
> the systems.  In general with shared projects you'll want path to files
> in project to be the same on all the systems.
>
> That said, I would expect ${VIRTUAL_ENV} to expand correctly in this
> project property but I see that it does not.  We'll try to fix that.
>
> Thanks for reporting this bug!

Personally I would always try to make __all__ paths relative so as to
cope with multiple developer situations where one has no D: drive and
another has no space on C - this also helps when a single developer is
working on multiple branches of the code and need to store multiple
copies in different locations.
--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.