Module description display?

gary.h.merrill

What ever happened to the feature (in V1) where a triple-quoted string starting a file would be taken as a module description and displayed in a window under the project display?  I just noticed this appears to be missing in V2 -- or have I failed to see something?

Re: Module description display?

Wing IDE Support
[hidden email] wrote:
> What ever happened to the feature (in V1) where a triple-quoted string
> starting a file would be taken as a module description and displayed in
> a window under the project display?  I just noticed this appears to be
> missing in V2 -- or have I failed to see something?

The module doc string is now displayed in the source assistant when you
click on a python file in the project tree.

Re: Module description display?

gary.h.merrill

Ick!!  No wonder I missed it.  With the new tabbed window implementation, of course the Source Assistant is obscured when you click on something in the Project Window (unless you've got two tool boxes up and happen to have the Source Assistant displayed in one while the Project tree is displayed in the other).

I'd urge splitting the Project window into two:  displaying the tree in one and the module doc string in the other -- basically going back to the old implementation for this feature.  It's "user abuse" (to borrow Cooper's term) to make the user have to flick back and forth between windows to see his doc strings as he clicks on the project modules (or to have to configure his window set-up to try to maintain the ability to see both windows simultaneously.   I know that you can "fake it" by splitting the tool box, but this does impose additional requirements on the user, and the doc string is still decoupled from the Project window, and so either you have to keep the Source Assistant on top all the time or your're still going to end up with the doc not being displayed when the Project is displayed.  Not a good situation.    The previous incarnation was very nice, fast, easy to use, and behaved according to expectations.

"Wingware Support" <[hidden email]>

15-Jun-2005 13:03

cc
[hidden email]
Subject
Re: [wingide-users] Module description display?

[hidden email] wrote:
> Ick!!  No wonder I missed it.  With the new tabbed window
> implementation, of course the Source Assistant is obscured when you
> click on something in the Project Window (unless you've got two tool
> boxes up and happen to have the Source Assistant displayed in one while
> the Project tree is displayed in the other).

The default layout has the source assistant positioned beneath the
project tree & the source browser.  The rationale was that there would
be a single tool that would show information about the current selected
item that could be moved or hidden if the user wanted.

I agree that switching to another tab to see the doc string is very bad.
  What layout mode are you using?  This could be a case where what works
in one layout mode (everything in one window) doesn't work as well in
other layout modes.

Thanks for the feedback,