Installation of the ZIP version of WingIDE PRO on Windows 7 ...

Installation of the ZIP version of WingIDE PRO on Windows 7 ...

WingIDE - User mailing list

Hello Friends:

I have to install the Zip version of WingIDE Pro 5.x on a Windows 7 workstation? Sigh. :( Basically because I don't have Admin privileges.

Does this option result in essentially the same functionality as a regular, integrated Windows install, except for, well, Windows
integration? Or are there limitations to doing it this way?

Thank you!
Noel

Re: Installation of the ZIP version of WingIDE PRO on Windows 7 ...

WingIDE - User mailing list
subscriptions--- via wingide-users wrote:

> I have to install the Zip version of WingIDE Pro 5.x on a Windows 7
> workstation? Sigh. :( Basically because I don't have Admin privileges.
>
> Does this option result in essentially the same functionality as a
> regular, integrated Windows install, except for, well, Windows
> integration? Or are there limitations to doing it this way?

I think the only differences are that it doesn't end up in the Start
menu and we don't write the registry entries.  It has all the same
features as the .exe installer.

Re: Installation of the ZIP version of WingIDE PRO on Windows 7 ...

WingIDE - User mailing list

Ah, okay. Thank you. I would love to try the 6.0beta version so I can remotely connect to and develop against the target Linux server that is running Anaconda.

I have SecureCRT installed on the Windows box and I guess I'd use that to create the SSH tunnel? Need to look at instructions. :)

Thank you,
Noel

On June 16, 2016 10:49:01 PM Wingware Support <[hidden email]> wrote:

subscriptions--- via wingide-users wrote:

I have to install the Zip version of WingIDE Pro 5.x on a Windows 7
workstation? Sigh. :( Basically because I don't have Admin privileges.

Does this option result in essentially the same functionality as a
regular, integrated Windows install, except for, well, Windows
integration? Or are there limitations to doing it this way?

I think the only differences are that it doesn't end up in the Start
menu and we don't write the registry entries.  It has all the same
features as the .exe installer.

Re: Installation of the ZIP version of WingIDE PRO on Windows 7 ...

WingIDE - User mailing list
subscriptions--- via wingide-users wrote:
> Ah, okay. Thank you. I would love to try the 6.0beta version so I can
> remotely connect to and develop against the target Linux server that is
> running Anaconda.
>
> I have SecureCRT installed on the Windows box and I guess I'd use that
> to create the SSH tunnel? Need to look at instructions. :)

Right now Wing can only use putty, which is an old but reliable ssh
implementation for Windows.  Once that's installed Wing will probably
find it (if on PATH or if in common install locations) or you can set
the Network > SSH Executable preference to the full path to plink.exe.

You'll also want to make sure that your key is loaded into Pageant
(which is putty's key server) so that no password/etc needs to be
entered to ssh into the remote host with putty.  If your remote host
uses a non-standard port for ssh you would also need to set up a
configuration for it in Putty.

Once that's done, Wing should manage all the SSH tunnels on its own, so
you don't actually need to establish a tunnel manually.

See the docs in Wing's Help menu for details -- setup and the
limitations of this in beta1 are currently documented in Project Manager
 > Remote Hosts (this may move around a bit in future betas).

Also, please don't hesitate to email us if you run into problems.