Inconsistencies in VIM mode

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Inconsistencies in VIM mode

WingIDE - User mailing list
Hi all,

I am a new user of Wing. I really like it so far and, coming from vim, I
really enjoy its VIM personality. There are however a couple of things I
cannot get working:

- Multiple selections: they work just fine in the default personality
but when I select and try to edit multiple selections in VIM mode, it
closes the multiple selection window as soon as I type.

- Word selection: there is an inconsistency between word selection in
vim and Wing in VIM mode. When I select a word by pressing 'e' and then
try to delte+insert by pressing 'c', Wing deletes the next character
after the selection. Similarly, when I delete a word by using 'b' to
select and then pressing 'x', Wing the last character from deletion. I
believe this has to do with the selection command. I've been fiddling
with the gravity option in the word forward/backward commands (e.g.,
changing its value to 'endm1', 'start', 'end') but nothing seems to work.

Is there a fix for these? Am I doing anything wrong?
_________________________________________________
Wing IDE users list
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inconsistencies in VIM mode

WingIDE - User mailing list
Marc Juarez via wingide-users wrote:
> - Multiple selections: they work just fine in the default personality
> but when I select and try to edit multiple selections in VIM mode, it
> closes the multiple selection window as soon as I type.

Unfortunately multiple selections don't work with vi mode and it's a lot
of work to fix so we haven't gotten to it yet.

> - Word selection: there is an inconsistency between word selection in
> vim and Wing in VIM mode. When I select a word by pressing 'e' and then
> try to delte+insert by pressing 'c', Wing deletes the next character
> after the selection. Similarly, when I delete a word by using 'b' to
> select and then pressing 'x', Wing the last character from deletion. I
> believe this has to do with the selection command. I've been fiddling
> with the gravity option in the word forward/backward commands (e.g.,
> changing its value to 'endm1', 'start', 'end') but nothing seems to work.

Yes, there is a bug with the delete-sel positioning option to
enter-insert-mode and it's removing one character too many.  I've fixed
this in our sources for Wing 6.0.12, which is going into testing today
and should be out next week.

A work-around that may help in some cases is to use cw in browse mode
instead of going into visual mode and pressing e and then c.

Sorry about that!

--

Stephan Deibel
Wingware | Python IDE

The Intelligent Development Environment for Python Programmers

wingware.com


_________________________________________________
Wing IDE users list
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inconsistencies in VIM mode

WingIDE - User mailing list
On 05/11/2018 08:13 AM, Wingware Support wrote:

>>
>> - Word selection: there is an inconsistency between word selection in
>> vim and Wing in VIM mode. When I select a word by pressing 'e' and then
>> try to delte+insert by pressing 'c', Wing deletes the next character
>> after the selection. Similarly, when I delete a word by using 'b' to
>> select and then pressing 'x', Wing the last character from deletion. I
>> believe this has to do with the selection command. I've been fiddling
>> with the gravity option in the word forward/backward commands (e.g.,
>> changing its value to 'endm1', 'start', 'end') but nothing seems to work.
>
> Yes, there is a bug with the delete-sel positioning option to
> enter-insert-mode and it's removing one character too many.  I've fixed
> this in our sources for Wing 6.0.12, which is going into testing today
> and should be out next week.


I just updated Wing to 6.0.12. I've check whether this was fixed and
while replacing with 'ec' is fixed, replacing with 'bc' is still
inconsistent with vim. If we start selecting a word from the last letter
and the pressing 'b', if you replace by 'c', Wing skips the last letter
from deletion. Just for you to let you know.

Thank for all the work.

Best,

Marc
_________________________________________________
Wing IDE users list
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Inconsistencies in VIM mode

WingIDE - User mailing list
Marc Juarez via wingide-users wrote:
> I just updated Wing to6.0.12.  I've check whether this was fixed and
> while replacing with 'ec' is fixed, replacing with 'bc' is still
> inconsistent with vim. If we start selecting a word from the last letter
> and the pressing 'b', if you replace by 'c', Wing skips the last letter
> from deletion. Just for you to let you know.

Thanks for reporting this.  We've issued a patch to fix it.  You can get
it with Check for Updates from the Help menu.

--

Stephan Deibel
Wingware | Python IDE

The Intelligent Development Environment for Python Programmers

wingware.com

_________________________________________________
Wing IDE users list
http://wingware.com/lists/wingide