Hippie expansion?

Robert Leftwich
Does Wing IDE support something equivalent to emacs 'Hippie Expansion'? (This
feature was recently discussed in relation to Eclipse/Netbeans/etc - e.g.
http://beust.com/weblog/archives/000258.html). I particularly find it useful for
completing words in strings (comment, doc, etc) and would love to use it in Wing.

Robert

Re: Hippie expansion?

Wing IDE Support
On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Robert Leftwich wrote:
> Does Wing IDE support something equivalent to emacs 'Hippie Expansion'? (This
> feature was recently discussed in relation to Eclipse/Netbeans/etc - e.g.
> http://beust.com/weblog/archives/000258.html). I particularly find it useful for
> completing words in strings (comment, doc, etc) and would love to use it in Wing.

We don't have it, but I like it.  I can't tell if it's using some sort
of most recently used or most commonly used ranking to decide which to
insert, or just the first matching string.  Seems like the latter, or?

Also, if it's wrong, you just use undo or delete right?

- Stephan

Re: Hippie expansion?

Ken Kinder
Wingware Support wrote:

>We don't have it, but I like it.  I can't tell if it's using some sort
>of most recently used or most commonly used ranking to decide which to
>insert, or just the first matching string.  Seems like the latter, or?
>
>Also, if it's wrong, you just use undo or delete right?

If scientilla supports it, it would be nice if it even printed what it
was going to complete in light grey. I haven't used Eclipse much, so I'm
not sure what it does about that, but I think I've seen that somewhere
and I liked it.

-Ken

Re: Hippie expansion?

Robert Leftwich
Ken Kinder wrote:
> Wingware Support wrote:
>
>> We don't have it, but I like it.  I can't tell if it's using some sort
>> of most recently used or most commonly used ranking to decide which to
>> insert, or just the first matching string.  Seems like the latter, or?

Emacs (and others) work backwards from the cursor location on the assumption
that you're more likely to want some text you've typed recently, although vi
supports both directions IIRC.

>> Also, if it's wrong, you just use undo or delete right?

Yes.

> If scientilla supports it, it would be nice if it even printed what it
> was going to complete in light grey. I haven't used Eclipse much, so I'm
> not sure what it does about that, but I think I've seen that somewhere
> and I liked it.

I haven't seen that (or at least haven't noticed it) but it sounds good.

Robert