Feature request: Manual activation of code completion

Feature request: Manual activation of code completion

I am a long-time, all-round fan of Wing IDE Pro, but I've never had
any joy with the auto-complete feature. It doesn't suit my workflow
but I am sad to miss out on a few of its benefits because I get super
frustrated with it. (FYI, I am using the latest edition.) I've also
taught classes with it for several years and many of my students have
similarly complained that it drives them crazy. That said, I would
love to have the ability to request code completion manually, on
demand. I'd like to think that I've just missed this feature
somewhere, because it seems like it's so obvious to provide it. If so,
my apologies, but I don't see documentation or configuration for it.

# Symptoms:

* Auto-complete searches can slow down my typing by adding key response lag.
* It adds unnecessary visual noise far too often while I'm typing. I
only rarely need its help and it is very distracting.
* It makes what I consider counterproductive suggestions. E.g., I
begin a method definition with an indented "def", press space, start
the name of my function with one alpha character and immediately I'm
presented with an enormous list of completions that make no sense.
These begin with *all* of the double-underscored magic method names,
despite the fact that none of these begin with the one letter I have
typed, presumably because there is no symbol that starts with that
letter so it shows me all the symbols. Why do you do this to me?!!
:-D

# Requested feature:

Essentially, I want the kind of individual symbol completion that bash
and ipython provide when I press TAB.

I want to be able to type without distraction from the auto-completer
then press a configurable key combo (e.g. TAB) to see only the
completions from names that start with whatever I've entered at the
cursor. I could select one in the same way that the auto-complete
feature uses, then carry on working as before.

The solution could be as simple as providing an option to switch off
the automatic listing of alternatives popping up *unless* I press TAB
(or whatever) *and* there is NOT a unique completion. If there is a
unique completion, just complete it for me!

Thanks for your attention.

Re: Feature request: Manual activation of code completion

WingIDE - User mailing list
Hi Rob,

Am 10.07.2016 um 22:03 schrieb Rob Clewley via wingide-users:

# Requested feature:

Essentially, I want the kind of individual symbol completion that bash
and ipython provide when I press TAB.

I want to be able to type without distraction from the auto-completer
then press a configurable key combo (e.g. TAB) to see only the
completions from names that start with whatever I've entered at the
cursor. I could select one in the same way that the auto-complete
feature uses, then carry on working as before.

The solution could be as simple as providing an option to switch off
the automatic listing of alternatives popping up *unless* I press TAB
(or whatever) *and* there is NOT a unique completion. If there is a
unique completion, just complete it for me!
Does this help?
In the preferences go to Editor / Auto-completion and set "Auto-show Completer" to never.
In the editor you can then display the auto completer by pressing Ctrl+Space anytime you want/need it.
AFAIK, pressing Ctrl+Space to display the auto completer is used in many editors and IDEs.

Cheers
    Adi

--
Adi J. Sieker         mobile: +49 - 178 - 88 5 88 13
Freelance Developer phone: +49 - 7661 - 91 92 8130