Breakpoints skipped...not stopping execution

Breakpoints skipped...not stopping execution

Sheila King
I've had some good debugging sessions using WingIDE last night and earlier
today.

I am using it to work with a CGI process running on a remote server.

For some reason, this afternoon, the IDE now seems to be ignoring
breakpoints in the code.

To ensure that my source on the local IDE host is synched with the source
on the remote CGI server, I uploaded all my source code to the remote
server, deleted all the pyc file on the remote server...

Still it is ignoring the breakpoints. (I have stopped and restarted the IDE
also.)

If it makes any difference, I'm running on Mac OS X at the moment. The
remote CGI process is on a Linux box.

Help? Ideas? Suggestions?

--
Sheila King
[hidden email]

Re: Breakpoints skipped...not stopping execution

Sheila King
Question:

Could using different versions of Python on the local computer (IDE server)
and remote CGI server cause this issue?

I have 2.4.1 on the remote CGI server.
I have 2.3.5 on the local IDE server.

And the page that first started giving me this problem uses sets, which is
not available in 2.3.5.

Hrrrm. This is probably the issue.

I am going to have to install 2.4.1 on my local Mac OS X machine, most
likely...

--
Sheila King
[hidden email]
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

--On Friday, July 8, 2005 6:40 PM -0700 Sheila King <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I've had some good debugging sessions using WingIDE last night and
> earlier today.
>
> I am using it to work with a CGI process running on a remote server.
>
> For some reason, this afternoon, the IDE now seems to be ignoring
> breakpoints in the code.
>
> To ensure that my source on the local IDE host is synched with the source
> on the remote CGI server, I uploaded all my source code to the remote
> server, deleted all the pyc file on the remote server...
>
> Still it is ignoring the breakpoints. (I have stopped and restarted the
> IDE also.)
>
> If it makes any difference, I'm running on Mac OS X at the moment. The
> remote CGI process is on a Linux box.
>
> Help? Ideas? Suggestions?
>
> --
> Sheila King
> [hidden email]
> http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

Re: Breakpoints skipped...not stopping execution

Sheila King

--On Friday, July 8, 2005 7:19 PM -0700 Sheila King <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Question:
>
> Could using different versions of Python on the local computer (IDE
> server) and remote CGI server cause this issue?
>
> I have 2.4.1 on the remote CGI server.
> I have 2.3.5 on the local IDE server.
>
> And the page that first started giving me this problem uses sets, which
> is not available in 2.3.5.
>
> Hrrrm. This is probably the issue.
>
> I am going to have to install 2.4.1 on my local Mac OS X machine, most
> likely...

It did not resolve the issue to install 2.4.1 on my local machine and set
the project in WingIDE to use the 2.4.1 binary.

I've done that, uploaded my source files from my local machine to the
remote CGI server several times, deleted all of the pyc files on the remote
server...

Just crazy. Works fine for most files, but the ones that use the
set

keyword in them are just not recognizing breakpoints that I set on those
pages.
:(

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Sheila King wrote:
> Could using different versions of Python on the local computer (IDE server)
> and remote CGI server cause this issue?
>
> I have 2.4.1 on the remote CGI server.
> I have 2.3.5 on the local IDE server.

It's good to match them, particularly if you expect to step into
standard library code.  Also, note that for remote debugging you may
need to add additional file location map entries to map the location
of the standard libraries.  Otherwise, Wing won't find the standard
library code to match up w/ the remote machine.

I tried stopping in code w/ the set module and wasn't able to
reproduce the problem.

The best next step is to collect some debug log information by setting
kLogFile in wingdbstub.py.  Also, you can get the IDE-side log to us
easily by submitting a bug report from the help menu w/ "include error
log" checked on.

Sorry for the delay in responding, which was due to a problem w/ our
mailing list software.

Wingware
Wing IDE for Python
Advancing Software Development

www.wingware.com

Re: Breakpoints skipped...not stopping execution

Sheila King
--On Monday, July 11, 2005 4:02 PM -0400 Wingware Support
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Also, note that for remote debugging you may
> need to add additional file location map entries to map the location
> of the standard libraries.  Otherwise, Wing won't find the standard
> library code to match up w/ the remote machine.

I did this, and for the first time, it has stopped on a breakpoint in my
"problem page" with the "set" keyword.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this is the last of my issues, and hoping
for smooth sailing of the WingIDE from here on out...

Thanks!