Breakpoints/Exceptions stealing focus

WingIDE - User mailing list

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to prevent breakpoints and exceptions from stealing focus from other applications. I’ve searched through the menus several times and have been unable to find one so far. I often find that a long running script will hit my breakpoint, and then the sentence I’m intending for an email will end up in my source code. J

Thank you.

Re: Breakpoints/Exceptions stealing focus

WingIDE - User mailing list
On 2/2/16 2:21 PM, Keilan Scholten via wingide-users wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to prevent breakpoints and exceptions
> from stealing focus from other applications. I’ve searched through the
> menus several times and have been unable to find one so far. I often
> find that a long running script will hit my breakpoint, and then the
> sentence I’m intending for an email will end up in my source code. J

There isn't a way to disable this right now, but we'll consider adding
one in the future.  It would be optional because in many cases you want
the editor to come to front.

Re: Breakpoints/Exceptions stealing focus

Well, that is typically is not the behavior of a debugger.
If you do not want to hit the break point then remove it.

Anthony

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 1:21 PM, Keilan Scholten via wingide-users <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to prevent breakpoints and exceptions from stealing focus from other applications. I’ve searched through the menus several times and have been unable to find one so far. I often find that a long running script will hit my breakpoint, and then the sentence I’m intending for an email will end up in my source code. J

Thank you.

Re: Breakpoints/Exceptions stealing focus

WingIDE - User mailing list
That would be a really useful feature!
This focus stealing has been driving me nuts for a long time!
Initially I thought it was windows 7 fault stealing the focus. But then I found that it's application's responsibility to chose to steal or not the focus, and it can't be disabled from the OS.

My project involves processing a stream of data, until the right data comes in the condition for the breakpoint doesn't occur. It could take a while until the breakpoint hits. Typically in the meantime I do something else, like typing notes about the experiment in Onenote. For the moment I have to undo what I mistakenly wrote in the WingIDE source editor and retype it in Onenote every time.

martin tosas via wingide-users wrote:
> That would be a really useful feature!
> This focus stealing has been driving me nuts for a long time!
> Initially I thought it was windows 7 fault stealing the focus. But
> then I found that it's application's responsibility to chose to steal
> or not the focus, and it can't be disabled from the OS.

Sorry, turns outthere is already a preference for this!  It's Debugger >
Advanced > Force Win32 Window Raising in Wing's preferences.  Uncheck
that and restart Wing and I think it'll respect the Windows default
setting for SPI_SETFOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, which specifies the time
following user input during which the system keeps applications from
moving into the foreground.